Northern Suburbs News
Soggy start to holiday weekend
ROCKLAND COUNTY (WABC) -- It was a soggy start to the long Memorial Day Weekend.
The heavy rain didn't wash away the entire day, but when it came down, it came down heavy.
Rockland and Westchester counties were pounded by severe thunderstorms during the afternoon.
The storms sat over the same location for several hours.
Part of Route 303 in Orangeburg was flooded when the Sparkill Creek overflowed.
There were also reports of trees and wires down in Valley Cottage and Blauvelt.
The storms knocked out power to over 2,000 homes in Rockland and Westchester.
Radar estimated 4.9 inches of rain in southern Rockland County.
The rain also caused delays at Newark and Kennedy airports.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
rockland county, westchester county, severe weather, storm damage, storm, northern suburbs news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 36 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London 10 min ago
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore 31 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile