Northern Suburbs News
Soggy start to holiday weekend
ROCKLAND COUNTY (WABC) -- It was a soggy start to the long Memorial Day Weekend.
The heavy rain didn't wash away the entire day, but when it came down, it came down heavy.
Rockland and Westchester counties were pounded by severe thunderstorms during the afternoon.
The storms sat over the same location for several hours.
Part of Route 303 in Orangeburg was flooded when the Sparkill Creek overflowed.
There were also reports of trees and wires down in Valley Cottage and Blauvelt.
The storms knocked out power to over 2,000 homes in Rockland and Westchester.
Radar estimated 4.9 inches of rain in southern Rockland County.
The rain also caused delays at Newark and Kennedy airports.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
rockland county, westchester county, severe weather, storm damage, storm, northern suburbs news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway