Northern Suburbs News
Vet charged with illegally dumping dead animals
WESTCHESTER COUNTY (WABC) -- Westchester County Police charged a Bronx veterinarian in the illegal disposal of animal remains along the Hutchinson River Parkway.
Dr. Andrew Manesis, 66, of New Canaan, Connecticut, was charged with scheme to defraud, violation of environmental conservation law and two counts of petit larceny.
The investigation began April 5 when a transportation worker found the remains of 35 animals - 26 cats, eight dogs and a lizard - in dense brush along the Hutchinson River Parkway in Harrison near the junction of Interstate 287. Autopsies of the remains revealed that the animals had died of natural causes.
Detectives were able to use evidence collected at the scene to identify the owners of two of the animals and link the cases to Animal Clinic and Surgery of Throggs Neck PC, also known as Throggs Neck Animal Hospital, at 3800 East Tremont Avenue in the Bronx.
According to the SPCA, Manesis took payments to properly dispose of the animals, but instead dumped them along the Parkway.
"Dr. Manesis was entrusted by his clients to dispose of their pets' remains in a proper and dignified manner," Public Safety Commissioner George N. Longworth said. "Instead, it appears he simply pulled off to the side of a local highway and tossed the animal carcasses into the woods."
Manesis faces misdemeanor charges of petit larceny, scheme to defraud and a violation of environmental code. His court appearance is scheduled for June 5.
A message left at Throgs Neck Animal Hospital in the Bronx wasn't immediately returned.
Manesis lives in New Canaan, Conn.
Detectives are continuing their effort to determine the owners of the other animals that were found along the highway. Anyone with information can contact detectives at 1-877-220-3560.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, connecticut, new york city, bronx, tremont, harrison, animals, northern suburbs news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 9 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 34 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery