Northern Suburbs News
Vet charged with illegally dumping dead animals
WESTCHESTER COUNTY (WABC) -- Westchester County Police charged a Bronx veterinarian in the illegal disposal of animal remains along the Hutchinson River Parkway.
Dr. Andrew Manesis, 66, of New Canaan, Connecticut, was charged with scheme to defraud, violation of environmental conservation law and two counts of petit larceny.
The investigation began April 5 when a transportation worker found the remains of 35 animals - 26 cats, eight dogs and a lizard - in dense brush along the Hutchinson River Parkway in Harrison near the junction of Interstate 287. Autopsies of the remains revealed that the animals had died of natural causes.
Detectives were able to use evidence collected at the scene to identify the owners of two of the animals and link the cases to Animal Clinic and Surgery of Throggs Neck PC, also known as Throggs Neck Animal Hospital, at 3800 East Tremont Avenue in the Bronx.
According to the SPCA, Manesis took payments to properly dispose of the animals, but instead dumped them along the Parkway.
"Dr. Manesis was entrusted by his clients to dispose of their pets' remains in a proper and dignified manner," Public Safety Commissioner George N. Longworth said. "Instead, it appears he simply pulled off to the side of a local highway and tossed the animal carcasses into the woods."
Manesis faces misdemeanor charges of petit larceny, scheme to defraud and a violation of environmental code. His court appearance is scheduled for June 5.
A message left at Throgs Neck Animal Hospital in the Bronx wasn't immediately returned.
Manesis lives in New Canaan, Conn.
Detectives are continuing their effort to determine the owners of the other animals that were found along the highway. Anyone with information can contact detectives at 1-877-220-3560.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, connecticut, new york city, bronx, tremont, harrison, animals, northern suburbs news
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 48 min ago
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 44 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes 36 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull 31 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
27 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
44 min ago