Northern Suburbs News
Mary Kennedy's family decries RFK Jr. accusations
WHITE PLAINS -- Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s accusations about his estranged wife's behavior before her suicide amounted to "a brutal psychological weapon," her family says.
Mary Richardson Kennedy's relatives issued a statement saying an affidavit in the Kennedys' divorce case, disclosed Sunday, was "scurrilous" and "full of vindictive lies."
In the affidavit, dated September 2011, Robert Kennedy accused Mary Kennedy of abusing his children from an earlier marriage and stealing from them and him.
It asked a judge for an order of protection to keep her from physically attacking him, showing up uninvited at his homes and denigrating him to their children.
Kennedy, son of Sen. Robert F. Kennedy and nephew of President John F. Kennedy, also asked that his wife be required to remain sober in front of their children and not threaten suicide in their presence.
Mary Kennedy hanged herself last month at the family's estate in Bedford. The divorce was pending. One of Mary Kennedy's brothers tried to get custody of her body before she was buried near the Kennedy compound in Massachusetts.
The Richardson family's statement said the affidavit, posted online by The Daily Beast as part of a Newsweek magazine article, "was written by Bobby Kennedy as part of a contentious custody battle and was nothing more than a brutal psychological weapon in the divorce case."
It said the release of the document was proof of the "emotional and psychological abuse that Mary endured during the last years of her life, and also in death."
"We hoped Mary could rest in peace," it said.
Messages left at Kennedy's White Plains office at a legal environmental clinic and his divorce lawyer's Manhattan office weren't immediately returned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mary kennedy, robert kennedy jr., westchester county, divorce, northern suburbs news
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 11 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues 42 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache 22 min ago
- Actress Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active' 8 min ago
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday 9 min ago
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse 11 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
42 min ago
- Lingering flood waters create commuting...
22 min ago