Northern Suburbs News
Bail reduced for alleged 'Millionaire Madam'
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Bail has been reduced for the alleged Millionaire Madam.
The court ruled that a judge's decision to jail Anna Gristina on $2 million bond was "unreasonable and an abuse of discretion." It agreed to lower the amount to $250,000.
Gristina also has to surrender any and all passports and arrange for an electronic monitoring device when she's released.
Gristina's attorney said his client hopes to raise the funds soon enough to be released by next week. She's been behind bars since her February arrest on charges of promoting prostitution.
The Manhattan district attorney's office declined to comment on Tuesday.
Prosecutors say Gristina peddled prostitutes for 15 years and boasted that she had law-enforcement contacts. Her lawyers have said she was merely starting a matchmaking business.
She has pleaded not guilty.
In their decision, the justices noted that despite the notoriety of the case, it is a story that's made international headlines. Gristina is charged with a nonviolent felony for one count of promoting prostitution and she has no criminal record. The justices also pointed out she's lived in Orange County for years and is married with four children, including a nine-year-old.
Gristina's attorney issued this statement: "We are working now to raise money to post Anna's bond. I know that Kelvin and Nick are anxious to have her home. We're relieved, but not yet where we want to be."
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
anna gristina, orange county, prostitution, arrest, northern suburbs news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 33 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation 47 min ago
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured 2 min ago
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards 18 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 45 min ago
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500? 4 min ago
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- What can you expect for Monday's Metro...
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
33 min ago
- Hofstra students remember Andrea Rebello
47 min ago