Northern Suburbs News
Electrical fire puts on show in Mount Vernon
MOUNT VERNON (WABC) -- A electrical fire that caused a power outage in Mount Vernon put on quite a show for residents who were left in the dark.
The fire department was called to Grand Street just before 1 a.m. on a report of a utility pole on fire.
When they tried to put it out, it caused an explosion and a shower of sparks.
Con Edison crews shut down power to about 650 customers so the fire could be safely put out.
Electricity should be restored by 6 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mount vernon, fire, northern suburbs news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 24 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
24 min ago