Northern Suburbs News
Rings left in hospital chapel as anonymous donation
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Margalie Alphonse noticed it just moments after the noon mass on Wednesday inside the chapel at St. Vincent's Medical center in Bridgeport - a folded envelope sitting in front of the Virgin Mary statue.
"I see what it is, I felt touched. I said oh my God. I'm gonna try to find the right person to give it to," Alphonse said.
Inside the envelope was an anonymous note written on some bandage wrapping and signed by a 'cancer survivor's wife.' It read, 'I would like to donate this ring to cancer patients'. Taped to the bottom of the note was a beautiful engagement ring and wedding band.
"This person has a tremendously big heart and a special heart, and if I could find her what I would like to say to her is thank you and that we are going to use this gift in a very special way to help others," said President of St. Vincent's Medical Center, Dr. Stuart Marcus.
Hospital administrators checked records and reviewed security camera video but could not identify the anonymous donor, and that's okay.
"We would love for this woman to step forward," added Dr. Marcus
In her note , the donor says the ring has an appraised value of $3,300. Administrators told Eyewitness News that they have received preliminary indications that other donors would like to match that contribution - all for a precious gift most would agree is priceless.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
23 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos