Northern Suburbs News
Rings left in hospital chapel as anonymous donation
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Margalie Alphonse noticed it just moments after the noon mass on Wednesday inside the chapel at St. Vincent's Medical center in Bridgeport - a folded envelope sitting in front of the Virgin Mary statue.
"I see what it is, I felt touched. I said oh my God. I'm gonna try to find the right person to give it to," Alphonse said.
Inside the envelope was an anonymous note written on some bandage wrapping and signed by a 'cancer survivor's wife.' It read, 'I would like to donate this ring to cancer patients'. Taped to the bottom of the note was a beautiful engagement ring and wedding band.
"This person has a tremendously big heart and a special heart, and if I could find her what I would like to say to her is thank you and that we are going to use this gift in a very special way to help others," said President of St. Vincent's Medical Center, Dr. Stuart Marcus.
Hospital administrators checked records and reviewed security camera video but could not identify the anonymous donor, and that's okay.
"We would love for this woman to step forward," added Dr. Marcus
In her note , the donor says the ring has an appraised value of $3,300. Administrators told Eyewitness News that they have received preliminary indications that other donors would like to match that contribution - all for a precious gift most would agree is priceless.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 42 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 47 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 28 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32