Northern Suburbs News
Rings left in hospital chapel as anonymous donation
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Margalie Alphonse noticed it just moments after the noon mass on Wednesday inside the chapel at St. Vincent's Medical center in Bridgeport - a folded envelope sitting in front of the Virgin Mary statue.
"I see what it is, I felt touched. I said oh my God. I'm gonna try to find the right person to give it to," Alphonse said.
Inside the envelope was an anonymous note written on some bandage wrapping and signed by a 'cancer survivor's wife.' It read, 'I would like to donate this ring to cancer patients'. Taped to the bottom of the note was a beautiful engagement ring and wedding band.
"This person has a tremendously big heart and a special heart, and if I could find her what I would like to say to her is thank you and that we are going to use this gift in a very special way to help others," said President of St. Vincent's Medical Center, Dr. Stuart Marcus.
Hospital administrators checked records and reviewed security camera video but could not identify the anonymous donor, and that's okay.
"We would love for this woman to step forward," added Dr. Marcus
In her note , the donor says the ring has an appraised value of $3,300. Administrators told Eyewitness News that they have received preliminary indications that other donors would like to match that contribution - all for a precious gift most would agree is priceless.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 40 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 9 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports 28 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
50 min ago