Northern Suburbs News
4 young boys accused of brutal sex crimes in Ramapo
RAMAPO (WABC) -- Four boys, ages 12 and 13, are accused of raping and sexually assaulting two young girls in Rockland County.
The Ramapo community is in shock after the disturbing sex crime charges were filed against the children, all students at Chestnut Ridge Middle School.
The victims are 12 and 14 years old, and they told authorities they were repeatedly sexually assaulted from last Monday until Thursday inside a home. The girls attend a different school.
"It's just a shame," one mother said. "That's such a young age for them to even possibly think of something like that, doing that, of that stature."
On Friday, the girls reportedly told their parents, and the three 13-year-olds and one 12-year-old were arrested Saturday.
"Thirteen, that's pretty low," another mother said. "I mean, there's never a right age to commit a crime like that, but it's really young."
The suspects were were arraigned on felony sex charges in Rockland Family Court in New City. According to court documents, the 14-year-old girl was raped, sexually abused and beaten. The 12-year-old girl was the victim of an attempted rape and other offenses.
"It's not like just stealing some candy from a candy store," another mother said. "They actually hurt somebody that can hurt somebody for the rest of their life."
The boys deny the charges. One school official told Eyewitness News that the boys were not disciplinary problems at school. Attorneys for the boys are asking they be released because they have no criminal history and good academic records.
A judge will decide whether to release them on Thursday. The boys can not be charged as adults because the minimum age for criminal court prosecution is 14.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ramapo, rockland county, rape, northern suburbs news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company 11 min ago
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade 46 min ago
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 45 min ago
- Suspect accused of setting Brooklyn apartment fire 3 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake 26 min ago
- Tuesday last day to apply for TCS NYC Marathon 7 min ago
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
19 min ago