Northern Suburbs News
Death of 2-year-old girl in New Paltz ruled a homicide
NEW PALTZ -- From the beginning, police classified the death of a two-year-old girl at a Hudson Valley home as suspicious, but now they have concluded it was no accident.
For the second straight day, police searched for evidence in what is now a homicide investigation. An autopsy determining a two-year-old girl who was staying at the home was killed - the victim of blunt force trauma.
New Paltz Police responded to the house on Route 32 on Wednesday, called to the location by relatives who reported the girl was missing. When officers arrived, an aunt was holding the toddler, saying she had found her outside the house.
The victim, Asia Perez Medina had been staying in New Paltz with various relatives since January. Her mother had been in the Dominican Republic for a stretch, her father in Trinidad. The baby was scheduled to return to the Dominican next month. On Thursday, several family members gathered at police headquarters, though they declined comment.
Police have questioned a number of relatives living in the home as they continue their painstaking investigation.
The girl's father is due back in New York shortly, at which point he will have to deal with the loss of his daughter, and the possible arrest of a relative.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new paltz, ulster county, child death, northern suburbs news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases