Northern Suburbs News
Death of 2-year-old girl in New Paltz ruled a homicide
NEW PALTZ -- From the beginning, police classified the death of a two-year-old girl at a Hudson Valley home as suspicious, but now they have concluded it was no accident.
For the second straight day, police searched for evidence in what is now a homicide investigation. An autopsy determining a two-year-old girl who was staying at the home was killed - the victim of blunt force trauma.
New Paltz Police responded to the house on Route 32 on Wednesday, called to the location by relatives who reported the girl was missing. When officers arrived, an aunt was holding the toddler, saying she had found her outside the house.
The victim, Asia Perez Medina had been staying in New Paltz with various relatives since January. Her mother had been in the Dominican Republic for a stretch, her father in Trinidad. The baby was scheduled to return to the Dominican next month. On Thursday, several family members gathered at police headquarters, though they declined comment.
Police have questioned a number of relatives living in the home as they continue their painstaking investigation.
The girl's father is due back in New York shortly, at which point he will have to deal with the loss of his daughter, and the possible arrest of a relative.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new paltz, ulster county, child death, northern suburbs news
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore 22 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile