Northern Suburbs News
Police make arrest in Yonkers hit and run
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police say they have arrested the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed a teenager in Westchester.
Keyairra Price, 16, was walking with her friend on South Broadway and Valentine Lane in Yonkers Friday night, when she was struck, and thrown several feet on impact.
Price was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. Her friend was not hit.
Police say the driver fled the scene in a red SUV heading westbound toward Riverdale Avenue.
At around 2:00 a.m., detectives located the vehicle and the owner was placed under arrest.
He has been identified as 53-year old Patrick Waverly of Yonkers.
Waverly has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident and D.W.I.
Meanwhile Price's family is shattered, overcome with grief.
But amid their tears, there are also questions, and anger surrounding her death.
"For a person to just hit her, and keep going? He could have saved her life..just that one stop, like, let me see what happened," said Debbie Degree, a family friend.
Price had been visiting her best friend, Angelique Cogdell, when they decided to walk to the store.
"I couldn't do anything else but scream and cry," said Cogdell.
"It was hard. That's my best friend..my only friend. And she's gone."
Along the busy street where a memorial is now taking shape, residents have long compalined about dangerous conditions.
"Since I moved here, I said we need speed bumps," said area resident Pamela Palmer. "It's ridiculous."
At the Price family's home, there are illustrations by the artistic teen, many combining her love of drawing with her fascination with Barbra Streisand.
"She just turned 16 a month ago," said Keyairra's mother, Omeeka Taylor-Johnson.
"She wanted to be a hair stylist. She drew. She was just a loving person."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, yonkers, hit and run accident, dwi, arrest, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos