Northern Suburbs News
Boy, 10, watches cops shoot and kill his dog
MOUNT VERNON (WABC) -- Police shot and killed a pit bull in Mount Vernon Monday as the dog was allegedly attacking a man.
But the dog's 10-year-old owner, who was out walking the dog at the time, and eyewitnesses dispute the claim and say the alleged victim provoked the attack by hitting the animal with a 2x4 and strangling it.
Kenyatta Ali is still traumatized by what he witnessed on the 300 block of Union Avenue, where police shot and killed one of his best friends.
Mount Vernon city officials say that at about 11 a.m., the pit bull attacked a 29-year-old man and mauled him.
Investigators called it unprovoked, and authorities say police had no choice but to shoot the dog before it would release the victim.
However, several witnesses say it shouldn't have gotten to that point, and that it was all a terrible mistake that got horribly out of control.
"The boy was playing with his dog, and the man thought the dog was attacking him," witness Jovonne Bourdeau said.
She believes the would-be Good Samaritan, identified as Jason McCrae, tried to step in and help the boy by beating the dog with the 2x4. That's when the dog bit him.
"It was provoked," Kenyatta's brother Malcolm Easley said. "If people have sticks, hitting an animal that's not even his, and got his hands around the dog's neck, what you think you gonna do? Be bit, right?"
According to police, the dog's owner had previously been issued violations of animal control laws.
McCrae is still being treated at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mount vernon, dog, northern suburbs news, jeff pegues
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos