Northern Suburbs News
Bus lanes coming to new Tappan Zee Bridge
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- The new Tappan Zee Bridge will have rush-hour bus lanes, which could be a first step in bringing mass transit to the bridge.
The $5 billion project has been criticized for not including some form of mass transit.
The rush-hour bus lanes, open during peak morning and evening periods on the bridge, will be a short-term answer to the problem.
The buses will run in the lanes usually reserved for emergency vehicles.
The bridge is expected to carry 14 lanes on twin spans.
The bus service that would benefit most immediately is the existing Tappan Zee Express, which carries commuters to Metro-North stations in White Plains and Tarrytown.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
tappan zee bridge, northern suburbs news
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Newark tanker fire snarls traffic, delays NJ Transit trains
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- George Zimmerman's parents sue Roseanne Barr
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas
- Report: Average Wall Street bonus tops $164,000