Northern Suburbs News
Bus lanes coming to new Tappan Zee Bridge
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- The new Tappan Zee Bridge will have rush-hour bus lanes, which could be a first step in bringing mass transit to the bridge.
The $5 billion project has been criticized for not including some form of mass transit.
The rush-hour bus lanes, open during peak morning and evening periods on the bridge, will be a short-term answer to the problem.
The buses will run in the lanes usually reserved for emergency vehicles.
The bridge is expected to carry 14 lanes on twin spans.
The bus service that would benefit most immediately is the existing Tappan Zee Express, which carries commuters to Metro-North stations in White Plains and Tarrytown.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
tappan zee bridge, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment 50 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos