Northern Suburbs News
Waterford pastor resigns in course of police probe
WATERFORD, Conn. -- The bishop of the Norwich Diocese says he has accepted the resignation of a pastor who is the subject of a State Police investigation into possible, but unspecified, criminal activity.
The church said Bishop Michael R. Cote told parishioners of St. Paul Parish in Waterford on Sunday that the Rev. Dennis Carey resigned on Friday.
Cote says he and Carey became aware of the investigation on Thursday and that Carey stepped aside to focus on issues that may come up in the probe. Cote said the church is cooperating with authorities, but he provided no details.
Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the State Police, said Sunday that a criminal investigation began Thursday. He gave no details.
WFSB-TV reported that police are investigating the discovery of possible child porn at the church.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
child porn, catholic church, northern suburbs news
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session 52 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 47 min ago
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300 20 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam,...
47 min ago