Northern Suburbs News
Waterford pastor resigns in course of police probe
WATERFORD, Conn. -- The bishop of the Norwich Diocese says he has accepted the resignation of a pastor who is the subject of a State Police investigation into possible, but unspecified, criminal activity.
The church said Bishop Michael R. Cote told parishioners of St. Paul Parish in Waterford on Sunday that the Rev. Dennis Carey resigned on Friday.
Cote says he and Carey became aware of the investigation on Thursday and that Carey stepped aside to focus on issues that may come up in the probe. Cote said the church is cooperating with authorities, but he provided no details.
Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the State Police, said Sunday that a criminal investigation began Thursday. He gave no details.
WFSB-TV reported that police are investigating the discovery of possible child porn at the church.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
child porn, catholic church, northern suburbs news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 35 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014