Northern Suburbs News
Trespassing teen nearly drowns in Peekskill pool
PEEKSKILL (WABC) -- A Westchester teen is in critical condition after nearly drowning in a closed public pool during a late night swim.
It happened Saturday night around 10:30.
Police were called to the Veterans Memorial Pool in Depew Park after reports that a 15-year old was drowning.
Apparently, the teen and a few friends snuck into the public pool after hours to cool off.
The boy was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center.
The area is clearly marked with signs indicating the park is closed from "Dusk to Sunrise" and the pool is entirely fenced in by a 6 foot high cyclone-type fence.
Firefighters had to use bolt cutters to open the gate around the pool.
Peekskill police were questioning two other teenagers.
Depew Park is a major recreation center for the city with the Olympic-sized Veterans Memorial Pool and a wadding pool for young children.
It also has many wooded trails, a lake and basketball courts and a playground.
The pool opened its full-time hours for the summer season on June 25.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
peekskill, drowning, northern suburbs news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 2 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem found 59 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
2 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
8 min ago