Northern Suburbs News
Travel agent arrested in alleged scam
STAMFORD (WABC) -- A piece of paper is all Mileny Torres was left with last year after she paid $945 cash for a plane ticket so her son could visit from Ecuador. But in reality, no ticket was purchased.
Police say a former Stamford-based travel agent is responsible for the fraud. Ruth Montoya was arraigned after police say she simply pocketed money instead of buying tickets for airfare to Latin American countries including Honduras, Argentina and Peru. The alleged scam went on for over a year.
Police say in all 13 people were bilked out of more than 22-thousand dollars. Finally in December, as the number of victims and the level of frustration grew in the Latino community, Montoya disappeared.
Juan Silva took over the office space on Shippan Avenue where Montoya ran Astral Travel.
The 58-year old Montoya eventually filed for bankruptcy at which time police tried to negotiate her surrender. Montoya was eventually arrested in Baltimore.
Police say there may be additional victims, reluctant to come forward.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, stamford, scams, travel, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 57 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments 39 min ago
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 16 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos