Northern Suburbs News
24 hurt in New Rochelle tour bus accident
NEW ROCHELLE (WABC) -- A tour bus struck a guardrail on Interstate 95 in New Rochelle Wednesday morning, injuring about 24 people.
The tour bus crashed into the guardrail between exits 15 and 16, near the New Rochelle toll plaza, just after 6:30 a.m.
The bus struck the guardrail on the driver's side, careened across all the southbound lanes and crashed on the right side of the highway. A police officer pulled his patrol car in front of the bus and helped it slow down.
Officials say 24 people were hurt, but none of the injuries appear to be life threatening.
Six passengers were removed from the bus on stretchers. Officials say 17 other passengers walked off the bus under their own power.
The most seriously injured person was the driver, who was bleeding from multiple locations on his body.
He was found outside the bus, about 200 yards from where the it came to a stop. The driver may have been ejected, or he have jumped off the bus as it was careening across the highway.
The victims were taken to several nearby hospitals, including Jacobi Medical Center.
First responders said they had a language barrier with the victims, all described as Asian.
The bus, from Foxwoods Resort Casino, is run by the Star Tag Bus Company out of Flushing, Queens.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the bus company, Brooklyn based Star Tag, has been cited for diver fatigue four times since March 2011.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new rochelle, bus accident, northern suburbs news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos