Northern Suburbs News
Funeral for soldier from Monroe killed in Afghanistan
MONROE (WABC) -- Funeral services are scheduled this week for a U.S. Military Academy graduate from the Hudson Valley who died last month in Afghanistan.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports that the funeral for Maj. Paul Voelke will be held Friday morning at Most Holy Trinity Chapel at West Point. He'll be buried at West Point Cemetery.
The 36-year-old was a 1998 graduate of West Point. He was a native of nearby Monroe.
The 14-year Army infantry veteran died June 22 in Afghanistan. Military officials have released few details of his death, which remains under investigation. He was assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Stewart in Georgia.
Voelke lived in Richmond Hill, Ga. He's survived by his wife and their two sons, ages 6 and 8.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
monroe, soldier killed, northern suburbs news
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos