Northern Suburbs News
Funeral for soldier from Monroe killed in Afghanistan
MONROE (WABC) -- Funeral services are scheduled this week for a U.S. Military Academy graduate from the Hudson Valley who died last month in Afghanistan.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports that the funeral for Maj. Paul Voelke will be held Friday morning at Most Holy Trinity Chapel at West Point. He'll be buried at West Point Cemetery.
The 36-year-old was a 1998 graduate of West Point. He was a native of nearby Monroe.
The 14-year Army infantry veteran died June 22 in Afghanistan. Military officials have released few details of his death, which remains under investigation. He was assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Stewart in Georgia.
Voelke lived in Richmond Hill, Ga. He's survived by his wife and their two sons, ages 6 and 8.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
monroe, soldier killed, northern suburbs news
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 17 min ago
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 13 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident 47 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes 5 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 49 min ago
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull 1 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
3 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
43 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
49 min ago