Northern Suburbs News
More dead, bagged animals found dumped in Rye
RYE -- Twelve trash bags filled with decomposing animals were found near the junction of two interstate highways in the New York City suburbs, not far from a similar discovery three months ago, state police said Tuesday.
An investigator said no connection between the two incidents had been established.
"We'll have to determine first if these animals were just euthanized and dumped here or if there's more to it," said Investigator Joseph Becerra.
In April, 26 animals that had been euthanized, including dogs, cats and a lizard, were found in bags along the Hutchinson River Parkway in Harrison. A Bronx veterinarian has been charged with several misdemeanors.
Becerra said highway maintenance workers found the eight bags Monday on a ramp connecting Interstate 95 and Interstate 287 in Rye.
"They detected a strong odor from over a concrete retaining wall and called state police," Becerra said. "The bags had carcasses of animals in various stages of decomposition."
He said recent hot weather had accelerated the decay, and it was not clear how long the bags had been there.
Some of the dead animals were dogs, he said, but it was hard to identify the species of other carcasses or even to make an accurate count.
Becerra said the police are looking for witnesses who might have seen the bags being dumped.
Andrew Manesis, the veterinarian charged in the April case, is accused of dumping the carcasses after accepting payments to dispose of them. He is due in court July 17.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, rye, northern suburbs news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014