Northern Suburbs News
New homes for veterans in Yonkers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Volunteer crews are working feverishly to clean up these abandoned properties and get them ready for renovation. Habitat for Humanity snatched up 5 foreclosed houses on Orchard Avenue and earmarked them for war veterans.
"We're going to put veteran's families in there," says Jim Killoran of Habitat for Humanity Westchester, "Two of them are working for Local 3 as apprentices, so the whole neighborhood will be lifted up."
The homes will be constructed with green materials, solar panels and recycled flooring. Habitat for Humanity will also re-plant the gardens and landscape the properties, which already have a great hilltop view.
Through Habitat for Humanity, eligible veterans will be able to buy the home with a no interest loan and no money down. The goal is to keep their monthly payment under a thousand dollars a month.
Nikki Roushion served in the marines during the Iraq war. Her husband, also a Marine and their children are looking forward to being surrounded by other veterans who understand what they've been through. Through this program, their dream of home ownership can now be realized much sooner than expected.
"We were planning on 5 to 7 years from now," says Roushion. "Even though with the housing market, you never know if you're going to get a loan or if it's going to be high interest. So this is actually going to help us tremendously because we never thought we were going to be homeowners, ever."
There are currently five homes available for veterans. So far, three families have been accepted. Officials hope to have them moved in, within a year. Habitat for Humanity is looking for more abandoned properties in Yonkers to expand the veterans' project.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, foreclosed homes, habitat for humanity, northern suburbs news, lisa colagrossi
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 16 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Anthony Weiner announces run for New York City mayor 48 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting 56 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale 6 min ago
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault 43 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
16 min ago