Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers street renamed in honor of Gulf War hero
YONKERS (WABC) -- A street in Yonkers has been renamed in honor of a local soldier killed during the first Gulf War.
In a ceremony on Saturday, Ravine Avenue was renamed "US Marine Lance Corporal Anthony Deshon Stewart Drive".
Lance Corporal Stewart died in battle in 1990 at the age of 19 in Saudi Arabia.
Paying tribute to the local soldier were Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano, Yonkers City Council members and Yonkers Veterans Affairs officials.
Saturday's renaming marks the first time Yonkers will display its new street sign design designated solely for U.S. Veterans.
All street renamings in honor of these veterans will be displayed in red, white and blue, while all other non-veteran renamed signs will continue to be blue and white.
Previously designated veteran signs will be changed to reflect the new design.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, u.s. military, soldier killed, northern suburbs news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers