Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers street renamed in honor of Gulf War hero
YONKERS (WABC) -- A street in Yonkers has been renamed in honor of a local soldier killed during the first Gulf War.
In a ceremony on Saturday, Ravine Avenue was renamed "US Marine Lance Corporal Anthony Deshon Stewart Drive".
Lance Corporal Stewart died in battle in 1990 at the age of 19 in Saudi Arabia.
Paying tribute to the local soldier were Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano, Yonkers City Council members and Yonkers Veterans Affairs officials.
Saturday's renaming marks the first time Yonkers will display its new street sign design designated solely for U.S. Veterans.
All street renamings in honor of these veterans will be displayed in red, white and blue, while all other non-veteran renamed signs will continue to be blue and white.
Previously designated veteran signs will be changed to reflect the new design.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, u.s. military, soldier killed, northern suburbs news
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 16 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame 1 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures 18 min ago
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 11 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
16 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos