Northern Suburbs News
Mary Kennedy reburied away from Kennedy family
CENTERVILLE, Mass. -- Seven weeks after she hanged herself, Mary Richardson Kennedy was reburied in a Cape Cod cemetery 700 feet from her original grave near other Kennedy family members.
Seven weeks after she hanged herself, Mary Richardson Kennedy was reburied in a Cape Cod cemetery 700 feet from her original grave near other Kennedy family members.
Frank Maki, superintendent of the St. Francis Xavier Cemetery near Hyannisport, told The Associated Press on Saturday that Robert Kennedy's estranged wife was exhumed earlier this month. She was first buried on May 19 near her husband's aunt and uncle, Eunice Kennedy Shriver and Sargent Shriver.
Robert Kennedy Jr. reportedly asked that Mary Kennedy be reburied on a hilltop surrounded by empty plots he's negotiating to buy.
Calls from the AP to people representing Mary and Robert Kennedy were not immediately returned on Saturday.
The 52-year-old mother of four hanged herself on May 16 in a barn by the couple's home in New York's Westchester County amid bitter divorce proceedings, after he won temporary custody of their four children, ages 11 to 18.
Since he filed for divorce two years ago, her battle against drug and alcohol addiction included an arrest for driving while intoxicated. An autopsy report showed she had antidepressants in her system when she died.
In a court affidavit linked to their divorce, Robert claimed his wife beat him, threatened suicide in front of her children, ran over the family dog and drank until she passed out.
The Richardson family said his account was filled with lies.
They lost a court fight to bury her at a location of their choosing.
The Cape Cod cemetery is in Centerville, near the Kennedy compound in Hyannisport.
Mary Kennedy's relatives did not attend the funeral Robert Kennedy organized in Bedford, N.Y., the Westchester County town where they lived. After her burial, the Richardsons organized a private tribute to her in Manhattan.
Photos show her new grave near the cemetery entrance is marked by small religious statues and two American flags.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mary kennedy, robert kennedy jr., northern suburbs news
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 37 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Dave Jennings, former Giants punter, dies 34 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Strollers recalled due to wheel blowouts , Kolcraft says
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
16 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos