Northern Suburbs News
10-year-old girl drowns in Connecticut lake
FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WABC) -- A drowning tragedy in a Connecticut lake claimed the life of a 10-year-old girl Tuesday.
The girl and her family, from Bridgeport, were swimming in the northern part of Lake Mohegan in Fairfield.
The girl and three other children started having trouble staying above water, and relatives went in to save them. But the girl, who has not been identified, slipped from her mother's grasp and went under.
"We were quick on scene," Fairfield Police Chief Gary MacNamara said. "We had fire personnel, police personnel, ambulance personnel. They all went in the water right away, with no real equipment, trying to feel and drag their legs and see if they could make contact with the girl. It's hard, because it's very murky, lot of debris in the water, very difficult."
A police diver found the girl, but she had been submerged for at least 45 minutes.
Swimming is only allowed in the southern stretch of the lake, not in the area where the girl drowned.
"Our hearts are with the family," MacNamara said. "It's a sad day."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
fairfield, connecticut, drowning, northern suburbs news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 13 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos