Northern Suburbs News
Keyless remote mystery in Yonkers
YONKERS (WABC) -- You could call it a Bermuda Triangle for cars in one Yonkers neighborhood.
For some unknown reason, wireless key remotes used to lock and unlock cars won't work in one specific area. It's become such a nuisance that an investigation is now underway.
The problem first arose months ago. And making it even more maddening is that the interference is intermittent as the owner of a funeral home demonstrated for us with his car.
Even our vehicle was affected. The remote just didn't work. We simply used the key to get inside and for most motorists it's just been an inconvenience, but in some cars the wireless is needed for a push start. Those drivers are out of luck.
The problem clears up just a block away. The owners of a transmitter on a utility pole paid a specialist to investigate. The equipment has been all but ruled out as the source of the interference, as have cell sites atop a nearby building.
Yonkers police haven't received any complaints, but are now involved. The department is reaching out to the FCC and to utilities looking for the key to solving the keyless entry mystery.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, yonkers, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon? 52 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 49 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Teen shot by police in Brownsville
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- New report: Disturbing news about raw chicken
39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos