Northern Suburbs News
Keyless remote mystery in Yonkers
YONKERS (WABC) -- You could call it a Bermuda Triangle for cars in one Yonkers neighborhood.
For some unknown reason, wireless key remotes used to lock and unlock cars won't work in one specific area. It's become such a nuisance that an investigation is now underway.
The problem first arose months ago. And making it even more maddening is that the interference is intermittent as the owner of a funeral home demonstrated for us with his car.
Even our vehicle was affected. The remote just didn't work. We simply used the key to get inside and for most motorists it's just been an inconvenience, but in some cars the wireless is needed for a push start. Those drivers are out of luck.
The problem clears up just a block away. The owners of a transmitter on a utility pole paid a specialist to investigate. The equipment has been all but ruled out as the source of the interference, as have cell sites atop a nearby building.
Yonkers police haven't received any complaints, but are now involved. The department is reaching out to the FCC and to utilities looking for the key to solving the keyless entry mystery.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, yonkers, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 2 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
2 min ago