Northern Suburbs News
No charges in teen's death at school
YONKERS (WABC) -- No criminal charges will be filed against staff members of a troubled youth residential center in the death of a 16 year boy who lived there. That decision from prosecutors in Westchester County in the case of Corey Foster-, who died after staffers tried to restrain him during an angry outburst.
The death last April sparked protests among students on campus and led to a demand for answers by Corey Foster's parents.
Foster was a resident at Leake and Watts, a school for troubled youth. The teen was being treated for behavioral issues. He became agitated during a pickup basketball game and was restrained by four staff members in what's called a therapeutic hold.
An autopsy determined Foster died of cardiac arrest, and the death was ruled accidental. Now the Westchester County District Attorney says no criminal charges will be filed in the case. The DA says her office interviewed 55 students and staffers at Leake and Watts. Surveillance tapes from the gym were reviewed and enhanced. School and medical records examined and the autopsy reviewed by an independent cardiologist.
The school issued a statement which reads: "This announcement supports our internal review, which deemed that appropriate therapeutic practices designed to support the young people in our care, were followed on the night of April 18th."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, westchester county, teenager, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 23 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 24 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 2 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
20 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
57 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos