Northern Suburbs News
FAA investigating close call at Westchester airport
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- Yet another close call at an area airport is under investigation Thursday after two planes nearly collided as one was taking off and the other was coming in for a landing.
The FAA says one air traffic controller cleared both the arriving and departing planes.
Officials at Westchester County Airport were never informed of Sunday's near crash due to a control tower mistake. Instead, they found out by chance, from one of the pilots involved.
It was close to 7:30 p.m. when the controller accidentally sent the two small planes on a near collision course, with one plane cleared to take off just as the other was cleared to land.
Both planes were about to roll down two runways and cross each other, when radio transmissions reveal that the landing pilot realized what was about to happen. When he questioned the landing, the controller shouted for him to go around and the pilot aborted the landing. Authorities say the two planes came within just 200 feet of each other.
The FAA says it is prepared to take corrective action if needed.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, northern suburbs news, darla miles
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 39 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 31 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77 53 min ago
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 31 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in...
39 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos