Northern Suburbs News
FAA investigating close call at Westchester airport
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- Yet another close call at an area airport is under investigation Thursday after two planes nearly collided as one was taking off and the other was coming in for a landing.
The FAA says one air traffic controller cleared both the arriving and departing planes.
Officials at Westchester County Airport were never informed of Sunday's near crash due to a control tower mistake. Instead, they found out by chance, from one of the pilots involved.
It was close to 7:30 p.m. when the controller accidentally sent the two small planes on a near collision course, with one plane cleared to take off just as the other was cleared to land.
Both planes were about to roll down two runways and cross each other, when radio transmissions reveal that the landing pilot realized what was about to happen. When he questioned the landing, the controller shouted for him to go around and the pilot aborted the landing. Authorities say the two planes came within just 200 feet of each other.
The FAA says it is prepared to take corrective action if needed.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, northern suburbs news, darla miles
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident 24 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- A-Rod sells home and makes $15 Million profit
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- Parts of Saw Mill Parkway remain closed due...
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos