Northern Suburbs News
Senior citizen fights off home invader in Rye
RYE, New York (WABC) -- A 72-year-old woman is recovering after fighting off an intruder at an exclusive, senior community in Rye, New York.
She approached the suspect and was able to get the knife away from the suspect, but was roughed up and beaten bad, according to police.
Some apartments were evacuated after a suspicious bag was left behind by the suspect. Police say the bag contained mostly golf balls and string.
The victim was taken to the hospital and has since been released.
There was no forced entry into the apartment and nothing was taken.
Police continue to search for the suspect. They released a surveillance photo hoping it would leave to his arrest.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
home invasion, rye, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 15 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 54 min ago