Northern Suburbs News
Senior citizen fights off home invader in Rye
RYE, New York (WABC) -- A 72-year-old woman is recovering after fighting off an intruder at an exclusive, senior community in Rye, New York.
She approached the suspect and was able to get the knife away from the suspect, but was roughed up and beaten bad, according to police.
Some apartments were evacuated after a suspicious bag was left behind by the suspect. Police say the bag contained mostly golf balls and string.
The victim was taken to the hospital and has since been released.
There was no forced entry into the apartment and nothing was taken.
Police continue to search for the suspect. They released a surveillance photo hoping it would leave to his arrest.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
home invasion, rye, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Budget vote approved in the House 43 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees