Northern Suburbs News
1 dead, 2 hurt in New Milford house explosion
MEW MILFORD, Conn. (WABC) -- One person was killed and two others were injured in a house explosion in New Milford, Connecticut, Wednesday night.
The blast happened at around 7 p.m. in the home on Sunny Valley Road near Sunny Valley Lane.
A man trying to help the homeowner repair a propane leak was killed when the house exploded, leaving only the chimney standing. The victim was identified as Anthony Fratino, Jr.
The homeowner, identified as 46-year-old John Wilkinson, and a 9-year-old child of the man who was killed were also injured in the blast, which leveled the two-story, Cape-style farmhouse.
Wilkinson and the child, Nicholas Fratino, suffered lacerations and burns and were taken to area hospitals.
Authorities say Wilkinson smelled gas and got his wife and two children out of the house before calling Fratino for help.
Police said onlookers were being kept away because asbestos particles might have blown into the air. Residents reported feeling the blast from miles away.
"The house shook and we thought we were being bombed," a neighbor said. "It was very frightening, and we ran out and saw smoke, but didn't know where the explosion was coming from."
The investigation continues.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, new milford, explosion, northern suburbs news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos