Northern Suburbs News
Homeowners near Tappan Zee worry about future
TARRYTOWN (WABC) -- The new Tappan Zee Bridge is expected to cost billions of dollars and take years to complete and some homeowners say it will cost them big too.
Alice Goldberg has lived for 18 years in the shadow of the Tappan Zee Bridge, a landmark which is close but is moving even closer.
The new Tappan Zee will be built north of the current one. Home owners at the Quay Co-op complex have a long list of worries.
"We're concerned about the noise, property values," Alice Goldberg, president of the quay homeowners association, said.
Property values are a key concern because owners fear the value of their homes will plummet as a result of the bridge being built 100 feet closer. A small flag on a post marks where the boundary of the new structure will be right up against the tennis courts. The effects are being felt already even before the start of 5 to 7 years of construction.
It's an issue on both sides of the Hudson. In South Nyack, six homeowners near a thruway access road were initially told the state would purchase their homes, then informed they're houses would not be bought out after all.
Homeowners say they are tired of talk and want some answers. The state says it hopes to have it for them later this fall.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
tappan zee bridge, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem 5 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 52 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Group running NYC half-marathon to inspire,...
8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
24 min ago