Northern Suburbs News
Homeowners near Tappan Zee worry about future
TARRYTOWN (WABC) -- The new Tappan Zee Bridge is expected to cost billions of dollars and take years to complete and some homeowners say it will cost them big too.
Alice Goldberg has lived for 18 years in the shadow of the Tappan Zee Bridge, a landmark which is close but is moving even closer.
The new Tappan Zee will be built north of the current one. Home owners at the Quay Co-op complex have a long list of worries.
"We're concerned about the noise, property values," Alice Goldberg, president of the quay homeowners association, said.
Property values are a key concern because owners fear the value of their homes will plummet as a result of the bridge being built 100 feet closer. A small flag on a post marks where the boundary of the new structure will be right up against the tennis courts. The effects are being felt already even before the start of 5 to 7 years of construction.
It's an issue on both sides of the Hudson. In South Nyack, six homeowners near a thruway access road were initially told the state would purchase their homes, then informed they're houses would not be bought out after all.
Homeowners say they are tired of talk and want some answers. The state says it hopes to have it for them later this fall.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
tappan zee bridge, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Jersey City water main break repaired 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 29 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 24 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos