Northern Suburbs News
Boys found guilty of gang rape in Ramapo
RAMAPO (WABC) -- They hid their faces walking into court. There would be tears streaming down them a short time later.
Four boys, ages 12 and 13 years old, were found guilty of gang raping two girls over the course of two days in June at a Chestnut Ridge house. The verdict in Rockland County Family Court did not come as much of a surprise even to defense attorneys.
Incriminating statements were made by the boys to police shortly after their arrest: that they forced their way into the girls' home on two separate occasions through a window and using a spare key; that the victims, ages 12 and 14, tried to hide from the boys; that they forced themselves on the girls by holding them down; and that the victims repeatedly told them to stop.
The judge relied heavily on those statements in reaching her decision.
A prosecutor called the sexual abuse "violent" and "horrific."
The boys have been under house arrest and will remain so until sentencing. The judge told them that they are facing the consequences of their actions.
"I don't say, nor do I think that you are bad kids, or that you're going to grow up to be bad adults. But you made some really, really bad choices," the judge said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
rape, ramapo, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 10 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 39 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013