Northern Suburbs News
Boys found guilty of gang rape in Ramapo
RAMAPO (WABC) -- They hid their faces walking into court. There would be tears streaming down them a short time later.
Four boys, ages 12 and 13 years old, were found guilty of gang raping two girls over the course of two days in June at a Chestnut Ridge house. The verdict in Rockland County Family Court did not come as much of a surprise even to defense attorneys.
Incriminating statements were made by the boys to police shortly after their arrest: that they forced their way into the girls' home on two separate occasions through a window and using a spare key; that the victims, ages 12 and 14, tried to hide from the boys; that they forced themselves on the girls by holding them down; and that the victims repeatedly told them to stop.
The judge relied heavily on those statements in reaching her decision.
A prosecutor called the sexual abuse "violent" and "horrific."
The boys have been under house arrest and will remain so until sentencing. The judge told them that they are facing the consequences of their actions.
"I don't say, nor do I think that you are bad kids, or that you're going to grow up to be bad adults. But you made some really, really bad choices," the judge said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
rape, ramapo, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- At least 1 dead, 15 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 20 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25