Northern Suburbs News
Couple blames NYSEG for shocks at home
POUND RIDGE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Millie Mendelson and her husband Hal say their Pound Ridge house is unlivable.
"Somebody is going to die here. That's how bad it is," said Millie Mendelson, Pound Ridge homeowner.
They say voltage leaking from a nearby NYSEG substation randomly jolts them inside their home of 25 years and around their six acre property.
"If I try to make a repair or touch a pipe in the house or touch water there are times when I just get this electrical shock and I just recoil," Millie Mendelson said.
So the 65-year-old wears rubber gloves when she cleans the dishes.
Her 76-year-old spouse wears rubber soled shoes outside.
They stopped using their pool years ago.
Dr. Mendelson, a psychiatrist, abandoned his private practice when the electrical shocks forced him out of his three room cottage which served as his office.
Last week, the couple filed a lawsuit against the power company.
"Just take this property, we'll give it to them, and they can electrocute it if they want, and just buy our other property that we are looking at and pay for that," said Hal Mendelson, Pound Ridge homeowner.
Because of the lawsuit, NYSEG had no comment other than to say, "The safety of our customers and employees is of paramount importance to us, and we comply with the New York State Public Service Commission's rigorous stray voltage testing and repair requirements."
Mendelson says years ago the company installed voltage blockers which worked for a while, but not anymore.
"They have blockers that block 30 volts of electricity from going on to our property that fail and they say its false alarms. And, they have never taken any responsibility for admitting that there is stray voltage," Hal Mendelson said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
51 min ago