Northern Suburbs News
Storms cause damage in Putnam County
PUTNAM (WABC) -- Storms packing powerful winds knocked out power and caused some damage in parts of Westchester and Putnam Counties.
Vera McManus' husband had just finished staining their deck a few days ago, and now it's a deck in need of repair.
The deck also absorbed the impact of a falling tree and spared the house of more serious damage.
The strength of Tuesday's storms is plain to see throughout Putnam County. Lake Peekskill was hit hard. Power is still out in some areas. Downed trees brought down wires and snapped utility poles. The outage in this rural area makes it more than just an inconvenience.
Classes were canceled on Wednesday in the Putnam Valley School District. Many roads were impassible for buses and the high school and middle school lost power. The school district announced that classes would resume on Thursday.
NYSEG reported about 11,000 homes and businesses in Putnam and Westchester counties were without electricity Wednesday morning. Efforts to restore everyone's power was continuing late in the day.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
putnam county, westchester county, storm damage, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide