Northern Suburbs News
Boy fights to play volleyball on girls' team
YONKERS, N.Y. (WABC) -- A teenage boy is fighting for the right to play volleyball for his high school team, a girls' team.
He wants to play with the girls because his high school in Yonkers does not have a boys' team. But, the state ruled that he was too strong to play on the girls' team.
Jensen Daniel hears what people say.
"Oh, it's not fair, but at the end of the day, I'm not trying to be the bad guy, I'm only trying to improve my skill level," Daniel said.
Jensen is a senior at Yonkers High School and, because they don't have a boys' volleyball team, and because he thinks he has a shot at a scholarship, he is trying to play on the girls' team.
"I didn't ask for this. I just wanted to get better at volleyball, scholarships, get colleges to notice me," Daniel said.
And the girls want him.
"When Jensen serves the ball hard at you and you are able to get it up, that's a great feeling and it also prepares you for games with players just like that when he hits hard, and you get it up, that feels amazing as well," said Tara Herrera, team captain.
Initially, the state let him play, but forced him to wear the girls' uniform.
Now, they say he can't play at all.
"I'm a senior and I shouldn't be going through the things that I'm going through right now. I have college to worry about, I have SAT's to worry about, I have college essays, college resumes, all of that stuff to worry about," Daniel said.
"Jensen brings a sort of new diverse energy to the team. He challenges us, he motivates us to be better, because like I said he is a strong player," Herrera said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, northern suburbs news, jim dolan
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's in Nassau County 31 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 36 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 35 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
36 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
35 min ago