Northern Suburbs News
Accused 'Millionaire Madam' pleads guilty
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The accused Upper East Side madam Anna Gristina has pleaded guilty to the one count of promoting prostitution.
She was sentenced to time served. The judge had indicated that Gristina would receive less jail time if she pleaded guilty than if she had been convicted at trial, which was scheduled in October.
She spent five months at Rikers Island because she was unable to post a $2 million bail. She won a bail reduction and was free in June.
The Scotland-born Gristina, 44, is a mother of four who tends to rescued pigs at her home in Monroe, N.Y. But prosecutors say she also was the madam of an upscale sex service for 15 years, making millions of dollars and boasting that she had contacts in law enforcement who could tip her off if she was about to get busted.
Gristina has said she was merely starting a matchmaking service, not peddling prostitutes. She has pleaded not guilty to promoting prostitution, a low-level felony punishable by up to seven years in prison.
Gristina was arrested on Feb. 22 as she left a fundraising meeting at a friend's Morgan Stanley office, where she'd been trying to raise money for her business, prosecutors say.
Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan initially ordered her jailed on $2 million bond and declined requests to reduce it. But an appeals court called the amount "unreasonable and an abuse of discretion" and lowered it to $250,000 on June 12. She was set free, but remained on an ankle monitor until Tuesday's court appearance.
Her lawyer said he would have liked to take the case to trial, but Gristina wanted it over.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
anna gristina, orange county, prostitution, arrest, northern suburbs news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 26 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 55 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 13 min ago
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- FDA proposes first regulations for...
13 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos