Northern Suburbs News
Man shoots masked teen, discovers it's his son
NEW FAIRFIELD -- A man fatally shot a masked teenager in self-defense outside his neighbor's house during what appeared to be an attempted late-night burglary, then discovered the teen was his son, state police said.
Spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said Friday that police are trying to determine if the gun used by Jeffrey Giuliano, the father, was registered. It will be at least a week before the probe is done, he said.
Police said 15-year-old Tyler Giuliano was shot at about 1 a.m. Thursday in New Fairfield, a town along the New York line just north of Danbury.
Jeffrey Giuliano's sister, who was alone in the home, believed someone was breaking in and called Giuliano, who lives next door, state police said. Giuliano grabbed a gun and went outside to investigate, troopers said.
He confronted someone wearing a black ski mask and black clothing and then fired his gun when the person went at him with a shiny weapon in his hand, police said. They would not provide details about what kind of weapon it was.
When police officers arrived almost immediately after they were called, the teen was lying in the driveway of his aunt's home with gunshot wounds and the father was sitting on the grass. The teen was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
A state trooper pulled back the ski mask to reveal that the victim was Tyler Giuliano, though it was unclear if Jeffrey Giuliano already knew that. It was also unclear if he was actually trying to burglarize the house or if it was some type of prank gone wrong.
"All in all it's a tragedy," Vance said.
Jeffrey Giuliano, a fifth-grade teacher in town, hasn't returned a message seeking comment on what happened.
Tyler Giuliano was a student at New Fairfield High School, a short walk from the neighborhood where he was killed.
Superintendent of Schools Alicia Roy sent parents an email about what happened, The News-Times of Danbury reported.
"Our district has experienced a tragedy that has affected us deeply," she wrote, adding that students weren't told of the killing because all the facts weren't clear.
No charges have been filed. An autopsy is planned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, shooting, northern suburbs news
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 43 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
46 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos