Northern Suburbs News
Mother charged with murdering 4-year-old son
MAMARONECK, New York (WABC) -- A mother in Westchester County is now charged in a shocking crime, the death of her 4-year-old son.
Jason Reish's lifeless body was found in the family's apartment in Mamaroneck, and police are still trying to figure out exactly what led to the horror they found inside the Continental View Condos.
On Monday night, police removed evidence bags from the complex just hours after making the disturbing discovery.
Officers responding to a request to check on 46-year-old Manuela Maria Morgado found her semi-conscious inside her home and little Jason dead.
They say she tried to kill her son by using a mask attached to a helium tank. She apparently then tried to kill herself - by taking pills.
Neighbors, including a woman who taught Jason in a nearby child development class, are still stunned by the news.
"He was a good kid, he was sweet and very energetic," she said. "I broke down. I broke down. It was shocking."
Reports say Morgado and Jason's father are divorced and in a custody battle.
"She just seemed to be a terrific, very upbeat person," neighbor Andrew Landau said. "Always with the son. The dozen conversations I had with her were absolutely terrific. Nothing that would give you any sense that something like this would happen."
Morgado is now charged with second-degree murder.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
child death, westchester county, northern suburbs news, lisa colagrossi
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 51 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 39 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32 46 min ago
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
10 min ago