Northern Suburbs News
Man's death in arson ruled a suicide
GREENWICH, Conn. (WABC) -- Authorities in Greenwich have ruled the death of a man found following a fire was a suicide.
Police and EMS responded to the fire at 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday on Havemeyer Lane, where they removed a mother and son from the burning home.
Barbara Verboven, 69, was found under the covers of her bed. The room was filled with smoke. She was taken to Bridgeport Hospital's Burn Center where she remains in critical condition with external burns and smoke inhalation.
Authorities said Dean Verboven, 42, was found in the same bedroom as his mother on the floor adjacent to the bed. He had a grave injury to his head, officials said. The medical examiner ruled his death was a suicide.
A gun that belonged to him was recovered at the fire scene, officials said.
Authorities have ruled the cause of the fire was arson, but the investigation is continuing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, greenwich, fire, northern suburbs news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn 17 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust 51 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97