Northern Suburbs News
Man's death in arson ruled a suicide
GREENWICH, Conn. (WABC) -- Authorities in Greenwich have ruled the death of a man found following a fire was a suicide.
Police and EMS responded to the fire at 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday on Havemeyer Lane, where they removed a mother and son from the burning home.
Barbara Verboven, 69, was found under the covers of her bed. The room was filled with smoke. She was taken to Bridgeport Hospital's Burn Center where she remains in critical condition with external burns and smoke inhalation.
Authorities said Dean Verboven, 42, was found in the same bedroom as his mother on the floor adjacent to the bed. He had a grave injury to his head, officials said. The medical examiner ruled his death was a suicide.
A gun that belonged to him was recovered at the fire scene, officials said.
Authorities have ruled the cause of the fire was arson, but the investigation is continuing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, greenwich, fire, northern suburbs news
- FDNY divers search after report of 2 through ice 8 min ago
- Gunman dead in shooting at Colorado high school 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday 54 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013 12 min ago
- New York City issues snow alert 25 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 31 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says
- Bronx building without heat for four days 3 min ago
- Mom of Newtown victim recalls that painful day 17 min ago
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday
54 min ago