Northern Suburbs News
Dad, 22, charged with murdering 13-month-old son
PORT JERVIS (WABC) -- Brett Kanoff hid has face while being led out of court, but there's no hiding the anger in Port Jervis over what the young father is accused of doing.
The 22-year is charged with killing his 13-month old son.
Little Cameron Kanoff was pronounced dead last week. Police were called to the family's home when a relative discovered the baby wasn't breathing. Brett Kanoff was arrested on Tuesday after a weeklong investigation. Police say the father suffocated the boy by putting a blanket over his mouth then placing the child in a pack n play-type portable crib.
No comment from the suspect's mother, but an aunt tells eyewitness news the baby's parents struggled with raising Cameron and an older child as well as the grief of losing Cameron's twin who was stillborn.
Brett Janoff is being held in the Orange County Jail without bail. He's scheduled to appear in city court Wednesday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
port jervis, child killed, northern suburbs news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 20 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 15 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 57 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos