Northern Suburbs News
Man shot by trooper known for police brawls
NEWBURGH, N.Y. -- Current and former police officers say a man who was shot to death by a state trooper in Newburgh had a history of brawling with police.
Police say William Baynes died Thursday night after he got into a fight with a trooper after a traffic stop. State Police say the trooper fired in self-defense.
The Times Herald-Record reports (http://bit.ly/PgqkUf ) that the 51-year-old had fought with officers several times before.
One 1991 fracas left an officer with a cracked vertebrae.
Retired officer Paul Weber recalled how Baynes once fought him "like a champ" while trying to escape a burglary arrest.
One longtime friend, though, said Baynes had a good heart.
Bonnie Herring told the newspaper she thought police could have taken him into custody without using deadly force.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
newburgh, police shooting, northern suburbs news
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 37 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 29 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77 51 min ago
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 29 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in...
37 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
12 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos