Northern Suburbs News
Woman shot in shopping center parking lot
NORWALK (WABC) -- An apparent robbery attempt ended in gunfire that left a woman wounded in a shopping center parking lot.
Canine units set up a checkpoint.
"Its mind boggling that someone could commit a crime like this," a shopper said.
Investigators collected evidence, combed through this supermarket parking lot and questioned witnesses Wednesday afternoon.
From what they've gathered so far they say a woman left the Stop and Shop on Connecticut Avenue in Norwalk just around 1:30 p.m. and got into her white Mercedes SUV on the far end of the lot.
That's when a man tried to rob her.
"She parked a distance from the store. An individual selected her for some reason. A slight struggle ensued inside her vehicle. One shot was fired. She was struck once," said Chief Thomas Kulhawik, Norwalk Police Department.
She was hit in the abdomen.
Police say the Greenwich woman in her 50's was alert and conscious when emergency crews arrived.
She was rushed to Norwalk Hospital to undergo surgery. Her husband told police that his wife was in surgery for some time, but fortunately no major organs were impacted.
Police put together a man hunt for the suspect who took off running from this busy commercial stretch.
Stop and Shop employee Dominick Cavoto says it was frightening to watch the chaos unfold.
"Everyone inside was worried," Cavoto said, "You wouldn't expect something like this at 1:30 in the afternoon. It's sad."
The suspect is described as a black man with fair skin between 20 to 30 years old, clean shaven about six feet tall, 200 pounds with black tennis shoes and blue jeans.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
carjacking, shooting, northern suburbs news, carolina leid
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 21 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 24 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos