Northern Suburbs News
Officer goes to court to attend his wedding
RAMAPO, N.Y. (WABC) -- A police officer took a fight to attend his own wedding reception right into the courtroom.
The problem was the timing of the reception and whether the Ramapo officer, who is out on medical leave, could be out of his house at the time.
This was no walk down the aisle.
No, for this bride and groom-to-be, their trip to the altar was preceded by a date in court because of the possibility that Modestino Giusto's job would prevent him from attending his own wedding reception.
Giusto and Sarah Narun are getting married Saturday.
Their plans were thrown for a loop because of his work as a cop with the Ramapo Police Department.
The 35-year-old is out on disability because of a neck injury, but the law requires him to be home during the hours of his assigned shift.
Saturday, Giusto is scheduled to work from 4 p.m. until midnight.
The wedding reception runs from 1 to 5 p.m.
The town says it cannot legally give Giusto the day off or change his shift and says the officer could have avoided the conflict by simply scheduling the wedding for another weekend when he was not working.
In the end, a compromise was reached.
Giusto can stay for the entire reception and then head home for the remainder of his tour. It's a one-time exception in a most unusual case.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ramapo, police, wedding, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 55 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act