Northern Suburbs News
Surveillance in death of teen at facility
YONKERS (WABC) -- They are the final minutes of a young man's life captured on surveillance video.
It is tape that either clears staffers or shows wrongdoing. It depends who you ask.
Jacob Oresky represents Corey Foster's family.
The 16 year old was a student at Leake and Watts, a facility in Yonkers.
His death last spring sparked protests at the school for troubled youth.
The newly released video shows Foster on the basketball court where he gets into an altercation with staff members who were trying to play a game.
The teen is surrounded by workers who put him in what's called a therapeutic hold which is designed to calm students who are in an agitated state.
The medical examiner ruled the death accidental, saying Foster died of cardiac arrest.
The District Attorney declined to press charges.
In a statement Leake and Watts says the findings by three separate agencies show, "appropriate therapeutic practices designed to support the young people in our care, were followed on the night of April 18th".
Lawyers for the family are trying to enhance the video and want to know why the tape skips several seconds; just at the moment foster is dragged down.
The family is moving forward with a multimillion dollar lawsuit against the school, claiming negligence and excessive force.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
child death, yonkers, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park