Northern Suburbs News
'Stuff a Bus' for Sandy victims
TUCKAHOE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A yellow bus in front of a school is not an unusual sight, but this isn't your typical bus, and this isn't a typical school lesson.
This week students from several schools throughout Westchester are taking part in a "Stuff a Bus" campaign; loading up that bus with books and pajamas.
They are looking for items that will benefit the youngest victims of Hurricane Sandy.
The focus may be different this year, but Genevieve Pitturo has been collecting sleepwear for the last decade.
She began the "Pajama Project" after learning many children living in shelters had nothing to change into at night.
Since then, over two million pairs of pajamas have been collected by volunteers.
The collection will go on through the week, and then the items will be distributed quickly.
The goal is to have children reading the books and sleeping in pajamas by Thanksgiving.
For more information on how you can help please visit: http://pajamaprogram.org/WordPress/superstorm-sandy/
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
hurricane sandy, westchester county, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation