Northern Suburbs News
Couple headed to funeral die in plane crash
CANTON -- A husband and wife from Florida who were killed in a small plane crash in western Connecticut were headed to a family funeral.
WFSB-TV reports that 73-year-old Donald Derocher of Live Oak, Fla., was to attend the funeral of his 96-year-old father. Derocher was piloting the plane and his wife, Josephine, was the passenger.
The plane crashed late Monday on a ridge along Onion Mountain in Canton. It was headed to Simsbury.
Bob Derocher, who lives in Coventry, said his brother was a good pilot and had flown many times to Connecticut where they lived before moving to Florida. He said he is in disbelief.
The Federal Aviation Administration says the small plane was tracked by Bradley International Airport air and dropped off the radar.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, plane crash, northern suburbs news
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session 32 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders
- Crown Heights woman critical after hit and run
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 27 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam,...
27 min ago