Northern Suburbs News
Couple headed to funeral die in plane crash
CANTON -- A husband and wife from Florida who were killed in a small plane crash in western Connecticut were headed to a family funeral.
WFSB-TV reports that 73-year-old Donald Derocher of Live Oak, Fla., was to attend the funeral of his 96-year-old father. Derocher was piloting the plane and his wife, Josephine, was the passenger.
The plane crashed late Monday on a ridge along Onion Mountain in Canton. It was headed to Simsbury.
Bob Derocher, who lives in Coventry, said his brother was a good pilot and had flown many times to Connecticut where they lived before moving to Florida. He said he is in disbelief.
The Federal Aviation Administration says the small plane was tracked by Bradley International Airport air and dropped off the radar.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, plane crash, northern suburbs news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 39 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
39 min ago