Northern Suburbs News
Grinch steals 60 Christmas trees in Ulster
ULSTER, N.Y. -- A Boy Scout official says someone stole 60 Christmas trees from a fundraising site and smashed the wooden display stand on Thanksgiving morning.
Rip Van Winkle Council Director Ray Braun tells the Kingston Daily Freeman (http://bit.ly/WNHwD1 ) the trees were in the Burlington Coat Factory parking lot on Route 9W in Ulster, about 80 miles north of New York City.
Braun says the loss of the trees will cost the council about $3,000.
He said about 20 volunteers showed up Friday and got the site up and running again, and sold about 21 trees.
It was the second Christmas tree theft last week in upstate New York. Earlier, someone made off with a trailer filled with 350 firs from a western New York farm. It was later recovered.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ulster county, ulster, theft, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane 56 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Staten Island buyback collects nearly 100 guns 19 min ago
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and run
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning 36 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' 52 min ago
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
15 min ago