Northern Suburbs News
Dozens of Fairfield University students sick with virus
FAIRFIELD -- Dozens of Fairfield University students have come down with the stomach bug norovirus and a few were hospitalized due to dehydration from their condition.
University spokeswoman Martha Milcarek said the school became aware of the outbreak Tuesday evening when students began showing such symptoms as vomiting and diarrhea. About 20 students were reported sick by Wednesday and, as of Thursday, about 60 students and two or three staff members were ill.
Milcarek said it was initially unclear what had made the students and staff ill, but now it seems likely that they have norovirus, a an inflammation of the stomach or intestines.
She said state and local health officials are investigating.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, fairfield, northern suburbs news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos