Northern Suburbs News
Dozens of Fairfield University students sick with virus
FAIRFIELD -- Dozens of Fairfield University students have come down with the stomach bug norovirus and a few were hospitalized due to dehydration from their condition.
University spokeswoman Martha Milcarek said the school became aware of the outbreak Tuesday evening when students began showing such symptoms as vomiting and diarrhea. About 20 students were reported sick by Wednesday and, as of Thursday, about 60 students and two or three staff members were ill.
Milcarek said it was initially unclear what had made the students and staff ill, but now it seems likely that they have norovirus, a an inflammation of the stomach or intestines.
She said state and local health officials are investigating.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, fairfield, northern suburbs news
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia