Northern Suburbs News
Fairfield crash triggers frantic rescue operation
FAIRFIELD, Ct. -- A crash involving a tractor trailer and a passenger car in Fairfield has triggered a frantic operation to rescue several people trapped in the vehicles, including some with life-threatening injuries.
The Fairfield Fire Department says the first firefighters to arrive at the I-95 northbound rest area launched simultaneous efforts to extricate the victims using hydraulic rescue tools early Saturday.
They called for additional help from colleagues and ambulances. Three victims were taken to hospital for treatment of injuries that ranged from minor to life threatening.
Assistant Chief Scott Bisson says the rescue operation was complicated by the fact that the vehicles were severely damaged.
State police officers are investigating the accident.
Authorities did not immediately release the names of those involved in the crash.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, fairfield, accident, northern suburbs news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos