Northern Suburbs News
Westchester DA, hospitals fight infant deaths
BRONXVILLE -- A district attorney and eight hospitals in suburban New York are warning new parents about the threat to infants from sleeping in unsafe settings.
Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore said Tuesday that 26 of 63 infant deaths investigated since 2006 turned out to involve unsafe sleeping environments.
A new video for parents and other caregivers stresses that a baby should sleep alone, in a crib, on his or her back.
Unsafe conditions include pillows, stuffed animals or inappropriate bedding. Advocates also advise against putting a baby to sleep with others in an adult bed.
Adults should not consume substances that make them less than alert, especially before bedtime.
Hospitals will show the video in maternity wards and parenting classes, and will post it on their websites.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, baby, northern suburbs news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos