Northern Suburbs News
Westchester DA, hospitals fight infant deaths
BRONXVILLE -- A district attorney and eight hospitals in suburban New York are warning new parents about the threat to infants from sleeping in unsafe settings.
Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore said Tuesday that 26 of 63 infant deaths investigated since 2006 turned out to involve unsafe sleeping environments.
A new video for parents and other caregivers stresses that a baby should sleep alone, in a crib, on his or her back.
Unsafe conditions include pillows, stuffed animals or inappropriate bedding. Advocates also advise against putting a baby to sleep with others in an adult bed.
Adults should not consume substances that make them less than alert, especially before bedtime.
Hospitals will show the video in maternity wards and parenting classes, and will post it on their websites.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, baby, northern suburbs news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos