Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut man charged in teacher wife's death
NEW FAIRFIELD -- A 63-year-old New Fairfield man charged with shooting and killing his wife told police she was coming at him with a knife.
Robert Bell was arraigned Monday in Danbury Superior Court and bail was set at $750,000. He is charged with first-degree manslaughter with a firearm and other offenses.
Authorities say Bell allegedly shot his wife, Svetlana, four times after an altercation Saturday night.
Police say they found Svetlana Bell unresponsive on the kitchen floor, with apparent gunshot wounds to her chest area. She was transported to Danbury Hospital, where she was pronounced dead a short time later.
The Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence says the killing highlights the serious problem of domestic violence in the state.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, northern suburbs news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act