Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut man charged in teacher wife's death
NEW FAIRFIELD -- A 63-year-old New Fairfield man charged with shooting and killing his wife told police she was coming at him with a knife.
Robert Bell was arraigned Monday in Danbury Superior Court and bail was set at $750,000. He is charged with first-degree manslaughter with a firearm and other offenses.
Authorities say Bell allegedly shot his wife, Svetlana, four times after an altercation Saturday night.
Police say they found Svetlana Bell unresponsive on the kitchen floor, with apparent gunshot wounds to her chest area. She was transported to Danbury Hospital, where she was pronounced dead a short time later.
The Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence says the killing highlights the serious problem of domestic violence in the state.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, northern suburbs news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 53 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
11 min ago