Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut man charged in teacher wife's death
NEW FAIRFIELD -- A 63-year-old New Fairfield man charged with shooting and killing his wife told police she was coming at him with a knife.
Robert Bell was arraigned Monday in Danbury Superior Court and bail was set at $750,000. He is charged with first-degree manslaughter with a firearm and other offenses.
Authorities say Bell allegedly shot his wife, Svetlana, four times after an altercation Saturday night.
Police say they found Svetlana Bell unresponsive on the kitchen floor, with apparent gunshot wounds to her chest area. She was transported to Danbury Hospital, where she was pronounced dead a short time later.
The Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence says the killing highlights the serious problem of domestic violence in the state.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, northern suburbs news
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Surveillance from East Harlem buildings near explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Sketches released of suspects wanted in lurings 9 min ago
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel